Monday, March 31, 2014

Landscape Design Team Member -- Mikenzie Norwood

All of us here at Nature's Cradle would like to welcome Mikenzie Norwood to our landscape design team! 

Here is her introduction:

Mikenzie on-site at an installation

A small backyard installation in Queens
Hi -- I moved to New York in 2008 and received a Master’s degree in Landscape Design from Columbia University in 2011. I have been designing rooftop gardens and brownstone backyards in Manhattan for the past several years, and am excited to be designing on a larger scale for Nature's Cradle clients.

In addition to my design degree, I have taken extensive classes in botany at the New York Botanical Garden and studied horticulture at Harvard’s Arnold Arboretum in Boston. 

My designs center around the existing 'sense of place' of a landscape, and aim to enhance both its beauty and functionality. I love using a broad plant palette, with plant combinations highlighting the inspiring and enchanting qualities of the natural world. 

Working in Manhattan offered plenty of opportunities for container design

Mikenzie's fire escape garden

I share Nature's Cradle's green philosophy and incorporate native plants into my designs whenever possible. I hope my enthusiasm about plants and design is contagious and that, through working with me, my clients gain a new appreciation of their outdoor space.

I have fallen in love with southern Westchester county, and am in the process of purchasing an apartment in the area. In my free time I enjoy hiking, gardening, sketching, bad reality tv, and reading about plants:)


No comments:

Post a Comment